BLOG        EVENTS        RECENT ACQUISITIONS

Saturday, May 5, 2012

I just received a text from my sister Julie. She is pleased to see a new posting on the blog and amused that she was mentioned. Blogging is an interesting process as it is in a way a diary. When I was a kid I attempted keeping a diary but maintenance is what makes a diary valuable. Still a blog is a bit different in that it is a way of getting people to learn about the gallery and the artists that we represent. That is why I will be turning "Handful of Dirt" my newsletter that goes out to artists into a magazine that will be available by subscription to collectors. My goal is to get collectors thinking about the maker as well as what they make as in truth everything  is "touched by the maker".

A few years ago I was talking with Walter Dexter and mentioned Maurice Savoie. I asked Walter if he knew him. "Of course I know of him by reputation but we've never met." I was fascinated by his reply. Here were two of Canada's great artists, both recipients of the prestigious Bronfman award, both members of the Royal Canadian Academy, both teachers, innovators and represented in the same museums. They are also of similar age. I then realized how very privileged I was to have access to so many of the incredible leading lights of the ceramic arts in Canada. I have been to their homes, talked with them about their work, who has influenced them and what they still want to do. They have given me an incredible gift. I believe that a gift needs to be shared.

It is that belief that got me started on wanting to write the artists studio series. I wanted to create a vehicle that would give people the opportunity to get to know the artists I have gotten to know over the past twelve years. I believe that by understanding the artists it will be easier to understand their work. I  was at the studio of Laurie Rolland with Brian in January 2007 and as we left Laurie gave us a hug and thanked us for coming. "You are the first gallery owners to ever visit my studio.' Now you may think that not all work really needs any explanation. After all a mug is just a mug. Not so!

I was asked to teach a course on ceramic appreciation at UWO (University of Western Ontario). It was a continuing education course. I brought in a selection of mugs, two of each. Ostensibly it was to illustrate the different methods of production, types of clay, and slight variances in shape. Essentially all the ingredients that make up a handmade object. Then in mid-sentence as I looked at the mugs, lined up two by two as if ready to enter an ark, I had an epiphany! I looked at the rhythmically carved Rachelle Chinnery mugs: Rachelle is an avid kayaker and her designs are so reminiscent of the waves on the sand. Meira Mathison's almost nestle into one another: an artist for whom family and relationships are incredibly important. Tony Clennell: strong robust no nonsense shape - so much like Tony. Judy Weeden - wonderful representations of flora and fauna: Judy is a retired biologist. The mugs were so much more than the functional objects that people often dismiss them as. They are the manifestations of the personality of the artist and an honest reflection of the maker. Mugs make for an amazing collection. There is nothing nicer than going into someone's home and given the choice of a mug to use. Most of the artists whose home I have been to have a mug collection. It is an affordable luxury. In the morning I choose my mug based on my mood. Some days I commune with Kayo O'Young, sometimes with Meira Mathison, sometimes with Jack Sures. I am not a fan of large mugs whereas my other half loves them. He generally starts the day with Tony Clennell or Alan Burgess or a wonderful large tea bowl by Bruce Cochrane. This is part of the joy of collecting: connecting.

There is a wonderfully vivacious certain northern Finnish lady who comes into the gallery. Over the past three years she has built a collection of connections. Going to her home is such a treat as her functional ware is always in use. Somedays we dine with Meg Burgess, other times with Goyer-Bonneau. She and her husband enjoy and revel in their collection and willingly share it. Actually she has just come into the gallery while I was writing this and I was telling her what I had written. She agreed and started telling us how last night she was having wine in her Meg Burgess goblets and how using them she was thinking of Meg and remembering meeting her.

Anyway it is getting busy so I think I will sign off for today. Stay tuned!

No comments: