BLOG        EVENTS        RECENT ACQUISITIONS

Friday, May 4, 2012

Hello All

It seems ages since I last wrote in this blog. Actually it is ages. My sister Julie called me yesterday and asked when I would be doing an update. So here I am!

First of all I want to compliment Ceramics Monthly. I love how my new ad looks. It is the first time that I has advertised in the magazine and I have already booked my ad for the fall.

Finally! The book on Walter Dexter - The Torso Masterworks is out! The launch on March 1, 2012 was a success and the book is selling really well. Anyone interested in acquiring a copy just give us a call 1-866-229-5244. The price is $65 plus s/h. I am now working on the next two book in the Studio Artist series. One will be on Ruth Gowdy-McKinley (1831-1981) and the other on Joanne Copp. In the next few days the facsimile reproduction of Walter's sketchbooks will be available. This is a limited edition of 50 and includes a separate folio of five sketches signed and number by Walter. This is an excellent addition to the library of any collector interested in contemporary Canadian ceramics. The prepublication price is $250 and 21 copies are already spoken for!

I am heading off to Victoria on May 24th to the annual Fired-Up! exhibition in Metchosin. Walter Dexter was a member of the group now in its 28th year. It will be a treat to see everyone again. This will be my fourth time heading out for their exhibition. If you are in the vicinity pop in and see for yourselves what has evolved into the premier ceramic exhibition and sale in BC.Check out their website at http://www.firedup.ca/firedup/Welcome.html While there I will be signing copies of my new book "Walter Dexter - The Torso Masterworks". I am also pleased to report that the book is published in Canada by the Ronald P Frye Publishers. It was important to me that my publisher be Canadian. It seems so many Canadian Art books are published outside of Canada. In promoting the arts in Canada I believe that we support all the arts and supporting Canadian publishing, to me at least, seems an obvious choice.

I got an unexpected phone call earlier this week from Ottawa to inform me that I am to be a recipient of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal. It is pretty cool to be recognized for promoting ceramic art in such a way. The awards ceremony is June 10th. I will give you an update after the ceremony.

For the past few years I have written a newsletter "Handful of Dirt". It is sent out o the artists. I am changing up the format and it will go out as a magazine. The first issue will be August 2012. It will be available by subscription to the public. Details are still being worked out but I am quite excited about the venture. If you are interested in subscribing please email jonathon@jonathons.ca. The magazine will highlight the artists the gallery represents and will discuss works in progress, upcoming events.

Well I think that is about all for the moment. Stay tuned for more updates as I am determined to be more regular in this section.

All the best!






No comments: